A common issue among men, at least 30-40% of men have suffered from Premature Ejaculation during some point in their lives. Premature ejaculation leads to unsatisfied sexual encounters. It may occur due to a number of factors- emotional, physical or habitual. Analysing the situation and working out remedies can help a great deal. You also do not have to worry if it is an occasional appearance.
What is premature ejaculation?
Basically, premature ejaculation is a situation where the male orgasm appears very quickly and uncontrollably. In severe cases, the person may even ejaculate before penetration. It is different from Erectile Dysfunction. ED is the inability to get your penis hard and erect enough for penetration.
A person suffering from PE will find it impossible to last more than a few minutes(mostly1-2 mins). While the exact reasons are still a bit hazy, medical researchers have theorized a few factors as the possible causes of premature ejaculation.
The Top Causes of Premature Ejaculation
Experts have long suggested that the brain may be one of the factors behind PE. Persons with a low level of serotonin(the happy chemical) have a higher reported instance of PE. Reduced energy levels, depression, anxiety, and a low sex drive are common among men with a shortage of serotonin secretion. Serotonin contributes significantly to the overall wellness and happiness of a person. Consult a doctor if you notice these above symptoms, along with a craving for sweets.
In addition, the emotional state of a person can contribute significantly to PE. Factors like stress, overexcitement, performance anxiety, guilt etc can enhance the state of PE. Experts recommend seeing a Psychologist if you are suffering from such mental pressure.
According to leading Psychology magazines, an important factor of PE in the majority of today’s youth, however, is pornography. Pornography glorifies only genital sex- which is the polar opposite of real-life sex. This deprives youth from the entire knowledge of sensuality and love-making.
Pornography shifts the entire focus towards the genital organs- causing severe stress on the penis. Combine that with a very responsive nerve-stimulus response system- you get one of the prime causes of PE. Fortunately, the damaging effects of porn can be cured within a few months of self-restraining exercises.
Should I Consult a Doctor?
Have open communication with your partner. If you feel the situation is bothering both of your sexual lives, go and see a specialist. You may consult a medically certified urologist or sexologist. The doctors will ask about your issues. He may ask whether the problem is existing for a prolonged period or just newly-developing. The doctor may also order some physical exams- including blood tests.
Treatment of Premature Ejaculation:
Most men suffering from PE have reported than self-restraining behavioural exercises have helped remarkably. Some of the popular methods are:
- Pause and Squeeze: When you are about to ejaculate- you or your partner should squeeze at the junction of the head and the shaft of your penis. Keep squeezing till the urge and the erection subsides. Repeat as many times as necessary.
- Stop and Start: Stimulate your penis just before the point of the orgasm. Distract yourself and stop the arousal till the rush passes. It may take 30 seconds or more. Repeat the simulation process for a few times before ejaculating.
- Meditate: After all the entire feeling, response and stimulation system is controlled by the brain. Daily meditation helps in controlling the brain– helping you stay calm, revigorated and focused.
Medications for PE
There are no medications specifically effective in treating PE. Doctors at times suggest off-label medicines- medicines used to treat other conditions that may be beneficial. The usually prescribed medicines include:
- Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors(SSRI): SSRIs function by slowing the serotonin reuse rate among nerve cells. Slowing down the process allows more available serotonin for the nerve cells. Some particular SSRIs delay the ejaculation. However, they come with side effects- including nausea, drowsiness and even decreased libido at times. Do not consume medications without the prior appointment of a certified doctor.
- Tramadol: Tramadol is used mainly to alleviate pain. In addition, it also delays orgasm. Used in cases when antidepressants like SSRI fail- the negative point is that it is highly addictive.
- Delaying Creams or Sprays- Both delaying creams and sprays function as an anaesthetic for your penis- making it lose the sensation. Apply them 30 minutes prior. Before careful and wash it off before sex- else you might be losing your erection. Even your partner might feel numb- loss of sensation due to the spray/cream.
Does a good diet or exercise help?
A healthy diet is beneficial for all aspects of the body- including treating Premature Ejaculation. A healthy diet of fruits and vegetables can help you last much longer in bed. Add banana, amla, and strawberry to your regular eating regimen. According to studies, vegetarians last longer and have more stamina. Foods that are rich in Vitamin E is good for boosting your sex drive. Avoid having sugar as much as possible.
Having strong pelvic muscles significantly reduces the chances of PE. Kegel and other Pelvic Floor Exercises are great options. Certain yogas and asanas(Bhujangasana) are beneficial too. In addition, workouts increase the levels of testosterone in our bodies.
Quit bad habits like smoking or drinking alcohol. Smoking decreases blood flow to your penis. Alcohol is a known depressant- reducing nerve response and feeling to a huge extent- potentially causing ED.
Here are some of the other tips that can help you perform better in bed.
- Do not skip foreplay.
- Distract yourself- if you feel you are about to ejaculate.
- Wear a condom- it desensitizes the feelings on your penis. In addition, it provides protection.
- Masturbate- Masturbating a few hours before sex helps to stay in control.
- Use pills like Viagra, Cialis or Levitra to treat your ED- in case you are suffering from it.